This Girl's Books

My online repository of what I've read, what I thought of it, and whether or not I'd recommend it to you, dear reader.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A very good place to start...

I couldn't think of a more appropriate place to begin a blog about books.

I'm still in the midst of re-reading Jane Eyre (or truth be told, reading it through every-single-word instead of skipping to the good parts!), so my post/review/what-have-you is still forthcoming. In the meantime, please continue to submit your ideas on how to judge books on some kind of rating scale.

I can't wait to talk about this book!

Note: this picture shows my actual copy of Jane Eyre. My grandma gave this to me 20 years ago now! I did not have the best nor easiest relationship with my grandma, but one thing we did have in common, and one thing she fostered and encouraged in me (and her other grandkids) above all else, was a love for the written word. I can recall my grandma -- with her glasses hanging 'round her neck on a silver chain -- always having a dictionary handy, always working on a crossword, always laughing in delight scoring 92 points at a time at Scrabble. Heck, she taught me how to spell the longest word in the English language (here I go, by heart):
antidisestablishmentarianism
Anyway, here's the inscription she wrote in my book:















I know it's difficult to see clearly, but it says,
Christmas 1986/To My "Little Bookworm" Becky/Love, Grandma Wood

I cherish this book. Not just because of the words written therein, not just because of the significance it has on my very perception of what it means to "fall in love," but also because it's a piece of my grandma -- the BEST of who she was.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger ashley said…

    That's so special! I am glad you could have that special bond with your Grandmother, even if the rest of your relationship wasn't that perfect. And what an excellent book for her to give you! :-)

    Sometimes when I pick up used books at a garage sale or a thrift store, I wonder at the story behind the inscriptions inside the front covers... *mind wanders off into daydreams*

    By the way, have you ever checked out LibraryThing? It seems like something you would like. :-) (I wrote a little about it on my blog, along with a link to my own library catalog. If you look at it you would notice I do not own a copy of Jane Eyre! Isn't that horrible?!)

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger Becky said…

    OOF! We're going to have to remedy that! Every self-respecting hopeless romantic should be able to reach for her copy of Jane when the mood strikes!

    Yes, I just read your blog this morning and I think the LibraryThing is such a cool idea. I REALLY need to catalog my different "collections" of books, especially my Tudor England/Elizabethen era books. (That's what caused the memory meltdown in the first place!)

    Thanks, Ash! I'll write back (e-mail) soon, I promise!

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger ashley said…

    I plan to add Jane Eyre as well as some Jane Austen classics to my bookshelf as I come across them at garage sales or thrift stores. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home